A Message from the President, October 2017
I would like to express my gratitude to the members of the National Society of Accountants for electing me as President of this society.
It’s difficult for me to imagine that my journey with NSA began as a student member while in college in the 90’s working to obtain an accounting degree. One of NSA’s past Presidents once said, “You never know where life’s journey will take you.” Truer words could not be spoken. Never in my dreams did I think an accounting degree would lead to where I am today. I am truly humbled by the faith and trust you have placed in me and certainly do not take this opportunity for granted.
I’m excited to be working with an amazing team of devoted staff, dedicated board members, and an awesome group of volunteers that graciously serve on our committees. No one person can do everything and I’m thankful for these talented people and appreciate their willingness to serve and commitment to NSA.
This will be very busy year with a set of new challenges and opportunities. I’ve challenged our committees and staff with several initiatives. Some of these include items such as:
- Expanding member benefits
- Increasing the amount of accounting content in our publications
- Producing comments to Congress on tax policy
- Reviewing the topics and content of our webinars to insure we are meeting the needs of our members
- Creating another wonderful program for the Leadership Networking Conference and Legislative Strategy Conference
- Developing a fantastic program for next year’s annual convention in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
One of the greatest member benefits that some take for granted is the work that NSA does to protect your rights to practice. As such, we will continue to monitor and work with the Internal Revenue Service, NASBA, the AICPA, and other national and state organizations that have an impact on our members.
I would like to thank you again for electing me and the opportunity to lead NSA. I’m excited and look forward to a wonderful year.
Brian L. Thompson